Monday, March 9, 2009

One of the things that keeps me from writing is abhorance of redundancy. I read something somewhere and I don't see why I should write about it when someone else can read the same thing I read and think about it on their own. Well, by this standard, my blog is becoming more and more obsolete. At the onset, I was writing about something that wasn't being talked about much. The concept of working less, the idea that refocusing our minds away from incessant production of wealth for the nation would assist us in living more fulfilling lives full of art and invention; that ultimately, this would result in more expendable income for wage earners who have seen no growth in their income while America boasted about our amazing growth that is mostly distributed to share holders and CEOs.



Now, thanks to the recession, article after article talks about how the shrinking economy will refocus our youth's attention to civic duty. That the bottoming out of the art market will see an increase in innovation since artists aren't really making art for the sake of the market. Along with the obsessive reporting of how we need to and are becoming a greener nation and a greener world, I feel as if the recession has taken away my platform, yet another job lost.

Well, I'm not crying about it. I think it's amazing that mainstream news is filled with this stuff. Everyone is trying to cheer everyone else up and soberly discussing what it means to live with less. It's incredibly refreshing.

In fact, I am beginning to feel like there is a lot more for me to write about as other bloggers and journalists ruminate over the same things, perhaps from a different direction than where I was coming from. In the end, we are trying to get to the same place, a place where our economy is secure, and by extension our individual lives are secure.

Also, since the collapse of the finance industry, the language that is being used is becoming less and less ambiguous. As people continue to clarify what is going on and how we got here, there is more clarity in the way money is discussed. Hopefully this will lead to a more engaged populace who can tell the difference between an article that is boasting about corporate gains and one that actually is regarding the positive effect that gain has on the wage earner.


I like Paul Krugman's blog a lot! I like how he now posts 3 to 4 times a day, sometimes one liners. It's adorable. But because he writes with an assumption that people understand economics already, reading his work needs to be supplemented with other stuff, for instance, listening to This American Life's episodes regarding finance and banking.

No comments: